I’ve written a lot of late on the plight of the Chagossian people and their struggle to return home to the Chagos Islands. For more than 40 years, the Chagossians have been petitioning the U.S. and U.K. governments to return home after being forced into exile to make room for a U.S. military base in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
Today, I’m asking you to help their cause by donating to this indiegogo campaign: https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraisers/help-chagossians-return-home-in-2015.
With your help, Olivier Bancoult, Chair of the Chagos Refugee Group, will be visiting the U.S. from April 19th-26th to meet with members of Congress, the Obama administration, and other government officials, and to attend the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues.
The Chagos Refugee Group does not have the funds to pay for Olivier’s trip. We are not asking for a lot – the funds to cover his airfare ($1,700), his travel ($350), food ($350), and other costs ($100) during his trip to the U.S. There has never been a better time to push for justice for the Chagossians: a recent U.K. study found no legal obstacles to the Chagossian’s return home, and the U.S. and U.K. governments are in the midst of a renegotiation period over the U.S. use of the base on Diego Garcia. Now is the time to push our government officials for what is rightly owed to the Chagossians – a return to their homeland.
Please consider giving whatever you are able. Every dollar helps in this fight!
For more information on the history of the Chagossian’s fight:
· Chagos Refugees Group: http://chagosrefugeesgroup.org/
· Watch a “60 Minutes” report (12 min): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxVao1HnL1s
· Watch John Pilger’s “Stealing a Nation” (56 min):http://johnpilger.com/videos/stealing-a-nation
· UK Chagos Support Association: http://www.chagossupport.org.uk/
· US Chagos Support Association: https://www.facebook.com/uschagossupport
· The History: http://www.chagossupport.org.uk/background/history
· News Articles: http://www.theguardian.com/world/chagos-islands
· Island of Shame: The Secret History of the U.S. Military Base on Diego Garcia:http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9441.html
· No Justice for Chagos: https://theblackcatrevolution.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/no-justice-for-chagos/
· What About Diego? What the Torture Report Missed: https://theblackcatrevolution.wordpress.com/2015/03/20/what-about-diego-what-the-torture-report-missed/
· The Price for Justice: Resettlement of the Chagos Islands: https://theblackcatrevolution.wordpress.com/2015/02/16/the-price-for-justice-resettlement-of-the-chagos-islands/